All visa requirements for au pairs and nannies change on a regular basis for every country. Please note it is YOUR responsibility to check the most up-to-date information on government websites. Thank you!

People from almost all countries can become au pairs in the United States. However, in order to legally become an au pair in the US it is necessary for an individual to obtain a J1 Visa. In order to get this visa, an au pair has to go through one of the government designated au pair agencies. With this visa, au pairs may work for a family as an au pair for 12 months and may apply to stay for an extra month in order to travel round the US. However, after that time the au pair is expected to return to their home country.

There are many other conditions for being an au pair in America. Please look at the US government web page for au pairs and nannies.

If you are a US government designated agency for au pairs, please contact us for commercial information regarding the placing of a link to your organization below.


River Cruises Europe - Luxury Canal Barge Vacation
Luxury cruises on the famous Canal du Midi in the South of France, all inclusive, with gourmet food and wine, and all excursions

Register free

To find a family or au pair

Find out more

An au pair says...

"I was successful in finding a family in a short time. Thank you!"
- Dalia S, United Kingdom


Information on visas in:
Australia / Austria / Belgium / Canada / Denmark / France / Germany / Ireland / Italy / Netherlands / New Zealand / Norway / Spain / Sweden / Switzerland / UK / US /