All visa requirements for au pairs and nannies change on a regular basis for every country. Please note it is YOUR responsibility to check the most up-to-date information on government websites. Thank you!

An au pair can work in Canada under the Live-In Caregiver Programme. Canada designed this programme in order to bring workers to Canada to fill the available live-in caregiver positions when there are not enough Canadians to fill them. A live-in caregiver is defined as someone who provides unsupervised care for children, the elderly or the disabled in a private house.

To enter this programme, an au pair must:

  • Have successfully completed the equivalent of a Canadian high school education
  • Have six months of full-time training in a classroom setting or twelve months of full-time paid employment, including at least six months of continuous employment with one employer in a field or occupation related to the job he/she is seeking as a live-in caregiver
  • Be able to speak, read and understand either English or French at a level that allows the au pair to work independently in a home setting. For example, it is important for the caregiver, to be able to contact emergency services if required and to understand labels on medication

In order for an au pair to be allowed to work in Canada as a live-in caregiver, a prospective employer will submit an application to hire an au pair to the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada/Service Canada (HRSDC/SC). Once the HRSDC/SC has confirmed the job, the au pair can begin applying for a work permit. If their application is successful, the work permit is valid for 4 years and 3 months.

Register free

To find a family or au pair

Find out more

An au pair says...

"I was successful in finding a family in a short time. Thank you!"
- Dalia S, United Kingdom


Information on visas in:
Australia / Austria / Belgium / Canada / Denmark / France / Germany / Ireland / Italy / Netherlands / New Zealand / Norway / Spain / Sweden / Switzerland / UK / US /