All visa requirements for au pairs and nannies change on a regular basis for every country. Please note it is YOUR responsibility to check the most up-to-date information on government websites. Thank you!

Au pairs from EU and EEA countries and Switzerland do not need a visa or a residence permit to work in Austria. Au pairs from other countries need to apply for a "special paid work" (Aufenthaltsbewilligung – Sonderfälle unselbstständiger Erwerbstätigkeit) residence permit to become an au pair in Austria.

Au pairs from the "new" EU accession countries do not require a residence permit, however, the host family must obtain a confirmation authorising au-pair employment (Anzeigebestätigung) from the Austrian Employment Service (AMS). Aupairs and their host families need to sign a contract of employment which will contain the general conditions of employment (such as salary and hrs to be worked per week)

Au pairs are not admitted to the regular labour market and do not obtain any entitlement to work nor any right to free access to the labour market after expiry of their au pair contract. The host family is also not entitled to continue the employment of the au pair.

Register free

To find a family or au pair

Find out more

An au pair says...

"I was successful in finding a family in a short time. Thank you!"
- Dalia S, United Kingdom


Information on visas in:
Australia / Austria / Belgium / Canada / Denmark / France / Germany / Ireland / Italy / Netherlands / New Zealand / Norway / Spain / Sweden / Switzerland / UK / US /