Employment requirements and conditions for au pairs and nannies change on a regular basis in every country. Please note it is YOUR responsibility to check the most up-to-date information on government websites. Thank you!
- Age: To work as an au pair in the Netherlands an au pair must be aged 18-25
- Salary (Pocket money): An au pair should receive about €340 per month
- Number of hrs to work and days off: An au pair will work a maximum of 8 hours per day and a maximum of 30 hours per week and should have 2 days off per week
- Visas: In order to work as an au pair in the Netherlands, there are various requirements that an au pair has to meet. If they meet these requirements, they are then required to get an authorisation for temporary stay (an MVV). Once in the Netherlands, they are also required to get a residence permit to work for longer then 3 months. For more information and to see the countries that are exempt from these requirements see Visa requirements for the Netherlands
- Duration of stay: An au pair cannot stay in the Netherlands for longer than one year
- Health Insurance: In order to work in the Netherlands for longer than 3 months an au pair is required to have health insurance with coverage in the Netherlands
- Travel costs: Travel costs to the Netherlands from the au pair's home country should be covered by the au pair. However, if the host family wants to pay for a part of the costs, it is suggested that they do so after the au pair has stayed with them for at least half of the agreed time.