Being an au pair in France
IMPORTANT (2011): THIS PAGE IS BEING UPDATED. FOR UP TO DATE INFORMATION PLEASE REFER TO THE OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT WEBSITE FOR EACH COUNTRY.
Employment requirements and conditions for au pairs and nannies change on a regular basis in every country. Please note it is YOUR responsibility to check the most up-to-date information on government websites. Thank you!
- Age: An au pair must be aged between 18 and 30 years
- Salary (Pocket money): An au pair can expect to earn between €240 and €300 per month for a 33 hour week.
- Number of hrs to work and days off: An au pair works about 30-35 hrs/week (depending on the different contracts each au pair has with their host family). An au pair can also expect to do 2 or 3 evenings of baby-sitting and is allowed one day off per week
- Visas: If an au pair is a national of a country that is not a member of the EEA*, they must obtain a work visa or permit in order to work as an au pair in France. France currently also has working holiday agreements with Canada, New Zealand and Australia. For more information on applying for a work permit and details about the working holiday agreements see Visa requirements for France
- Duration of stay: With a work visa or permit an au pair is allowed to work in France for up to 12 months
- Health Insurance: It is not a requirement to have insurance to work in France however it advised that an au pair has both health and travel insurance
- Travel costs: Travel costs to France from the au pair's home country should be covered by the au pair. However, if the host family wants to pay for a part of the costs, it is suggested that they do so after the au pair has stayed with them for at least half of the agreed time.
- Language courses: Au pairs are required to take part in a language course
*The EEA is defined as the European Economic Area which is made up of the EU countries, plus Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein.
Languedoc Holiday Villa Rental, Pezenas, South of France
5-bedroomed vacation villa available to rent in Pezenas, Languedoc Roussillon, in the beautiful South of France. Great for family holidays!
Being an au pair in:
New Zealand /